Saturday 22 April 2017
Leader: John Jones
Photos: John Jones & Reg Hesketh

On a clear sunny morning 13 walkers and the faithful small dog Bess, set out from Arnside to walk the Limestone Link trail to Kirkby Lonsdale. Two cars were left at Arnside and two club taxis conveyed the remaining walkers from Burton.

Arnside Moss (now relatively dry) was crossed to reach Hazelslack (and a host of Mobile Home owners). The Coffin Route was followed to the Fairy Steps, where Clive?s birthday was celebrated with wine, cake and coffee and the view over the Kent Estuary admired on a beautiful clear day.

The trail continued through the Whin Scar woods to Slack Head and then beside Marble Quarry, over the wonderful Limestone pavement and through the woods to Hale.

Crossing the A6 with care, on the way to Pye's Bridge farm, the memorial plaque commemorating the birth of John Taylor, the only English Elder of the Mormon Church, was inspected. The original route of the Limestone Link was followed past Pye's Bridge Farm and on field paths to cross the main line railway on the new(ish) bridge on the way to Holme. Field paths were followed to reach North Road in Holme beside the new estate.

After walking north out of the village, a short section of the dangerous A6070 was negotiated to reach the safety of Holme Park Farm. The bridle way beside Holme Park quarry was then followed up the fell and over a sheep pasture to reach the road at 'the Top of Clawthorpe' where lunch was taken.

After Lunch two members returned to Burton by club Taxi and one member walked home. The trail was then followed to the top of Hutton Roof Crags and down to Hutton Roof village via the gentle path round the northern end of the crags. Leaving the village via Sealford Beck Bridge, field paths were taken to reach Longfield Tarn. Large open sheep pastures (a welcome change for tiring feet) were then crossed to reach High Biggins.

A short section of road walking led to more field paths leading finally to Devils Bridge, where refreshing tea and ice creams were enjoyed to celebrate the end of the walk. After a short delay due to an RTA (car overturned racing to a party it was said) the club taxis arrived to take some to Burton and some back to Arnside to be re-united with the cars left there. A bit of a challenging 12 mile walk was enjoyed on a beautiful hot sunny day.

John Jones (leader)